Well, kids, in parts 1, 2, and 3, we’ve covered wannabes and motherhood, a few first ladies, and Rethuglican women in the Senate. Since we’ve paid homage to those in the Senate, I would be remiss to ignore the Ladies of the House. Let’s start with my fave, Michele Bachmann. From The Minnesota Independent:
U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann’s ranting has the blog world buzzing yet again this week. Late last week, in an appearance with KTLK’s Chris Baker, the Minnesota Republican said, “We’re running out of rich people in this country.” She said she thinks Obama will lower the “rich” threshold to couples making $65,000 a year.
Oh, Michele, you are indeed a Barbie doll!
The Washington Monthly’s Steve Benen went through her comments line by line and found some false, albeit interesting, ideas held by Minnesota’s most conservative member of Congress:
* ACORN is “under federal indictment for voter fraud,” but the stimulus bill nevertheless gives ACORN “$5 billion.” (In reality, ACORN is not under federal indictment and isn’t mentioned in the stimulus bill at all.)
* many members of Congress have “a real aversion to capitalism.”
* the stimulus bill includes a measure to create a “rationing board” for health care, and after the bill becomes law, “your doctor will no longer be able to make your healthcare decisions with you.”
* the recovery package is part of a Democratic conspiracy to “direct” funding away from Republican districts, so Democratic districts can “suck up” all federal funds. Bachmann doesn’t think this will work because, as she put it, “We’re running out of rich people in this country.”
* the “Community-Organizer-in-Chief” is also orchestrating a conspiracy involving the Census Bureau, which the president will use to redraw congressional lines to keep Democrats in power for up to “40 years.” When the host said he was confused, noting that congressional district lines are drawn at the state level, Bachmann said Obama’s non-existent plan is an “anti-constitutional move.”
(Video at link above)
Let’s move on to some other Rethuglican women in the House:
Left to right: Virginia Foxx R-NC, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen R-FL, Candice Miller R-MI, Heather Wilson R-NM, Shelley Moore Capito R-WV, showing the diversity and inclusion of the Rethuglican party is the African-American member named…excuse me, I’m still looking for her name…. 😳 Oh my, is my face red! She’s not a Rethuglican member of the House! There are no African-American Rethuglican members of the House or Senate, male or female. She’s just the maid they hired to serve refreshments at their little tea party. So sorry. Anyway, all the way at the right is Marsha Blackburn R-TN.
You know Marsha Blackburn, dont’cha? From WHNT News:
The Federal Election Commission has dismissed a campaign finance complaint against U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn.
Blackburn, a Republican from Brentwood who represents the 7th District, disclosed last spring more than $440,000 in unreported donations and expenditures for her campaign finance account. Blackburn has had more than 90 campaign finance reporting errors pointed out by the FEC since she first ran for Congress in 2002.
The spate of problems led a national advocacy group called Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington and a Germantown resident to ask the FEC to investigate Blackburn for misreporting her finances.
The Tennessean newspaper reports the FEC voted 4-0 to dismiss the complaint in December but didn’t file the paperwork until last week.
With those out of the way, I thought I would add a personal note. My niece collects Barbie dolls, so when a holiday or her birthday rolls around, I go to all the stores looking for a Barbie she doesn’t already have. As a result, I have my own favorite Barbies, and the ones I like the most are the designer Barbies and the ones that depict old TV shows and movies. I thought I would show you one, so you will know what I am talking about. One of the most elaborate movie Barbies is the Scarlett O’Hara Barbie from Gone With the Wind. Of course, you need a real Southern Belle for that one, and I found one!