From POLITICS DAILY:
Rep. Steve King of Iowa fully expected to become chairman of the House Judiciary subcommittee on immigration — and his party’s leading voice on immigration — when Republicans took over the House this month. He talked as if it were a done deal, and it was reported that way by many outlets.
But King learned last week it was not to be. Instead, even though he was the senior member of the panel, GOP leaders tapped veteran Rep. Elton Gallegly of California.
Why did they snub King, a quotable cable regular, as their chief immigration spokesman? Just guessing, but . . .
1. He designed a wall topped with electrified wire to keep illegal immigrants from crossing the southern border and explained, “We do that with livestock all the time.”
2. He has a plan to prolong conservative rule: “Every time we give amnesty for an illegal alien, we deport a liberal.”
3. He says police can sense who might be an illegal immigrant by indicators such as clothing, shoes, accent and “the type of grooming they might have.”
4. In 2008 he predicted that if Barack Obama won the election, “radical Islamists” would be “dancing in the streets because of his middle name (Hussein).”5. Last year he said the president has a “default mechanism” that makes him favor blacks over whites, and also called him “very, very urban.”
6. Last month he called Joe McCarthy a “hero for America” and said he favors re-establishing the House Un-American Activities Committee, “but I would support a different committee name so that we don’t have to deal with the history, and move forward.”
In an interview with National Journal, King blamed his situation on Speaker John Boehner and Boehner’s lack of commitment to the immigration issue. He said the Gallegly pick proves the House “is not a meritocracy.”
The day before he found out he wouldn’t be promoted, King introduced a bill to end automatic citizenship for all children born in the United States and instead limit it to babies of citizens, permanent legal immigrants and immigrants in the military. He doesn’t plan to abandon that crusade or others. Plan B is to take his case to the grassroots across the country, the goal being enough support and noise that “the guy with the gavel hears it.”
Is there something going on behind the scenes in the House, kids? Steve King is one of Batshit Michele Bachmann’s closest allies. Bronzo the Clown put Batshit on the Intelligence Committee, where almost everything is top secret. Was this Bronzo’s attempt to shut her up or get rid of her, if she can’t control her loose lips? Now he’s pulled the rug out from under equally wacko Steve King. Is this how the more traditional Rethugs plan on keeping Batshit Bachmann’s Tea Party Caucus under control? Something’s goin’ on, kids. Get the popcorn ready.