From The Washington Post:
Meet BP’s Bob Dudley, the human relief well.
This week the Mississippi-bred, wispy-haired Dudley has been paraded through the Gulf coast, the White House and press corps as the new face of BP’s fight to contain the damage the oil spill has unleashed on U.S. shores — and the company’s reputation.
Why do I get the feeling that the emphasis will be on the company’s rep, not the damage that’s already been done and will be done?
Original DVD cover
Filed under Bill Clinton, Democrats, Environment, FEMA, humor, Interior Department, movies, parody, politics, Russia, snark, Wordpress Political Blogs
There’s no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back.
—Tony Hayward, BP CEO, May 30, 2010
Here are developments in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, the largest in U.S. history:
* After BP Plc (BP.L) said the complex “top kill” maneuver to plug its Gulf of Mexico oil well had failed on Saturday, it is moving to the next option — the lower marine riser package cap, which will capture oil from the well rather than plug it.
* Government scientists estimated that cutting the riser pipe coming out of the blowout preventer to prepare for the next containment option could result in a temporary oil flow increase of up to 20 percent.
* The huge oil slick from the gushing well could threaten the Mississippi and Alabama coasts this week, driven by moderate southerly and southwesterly winds, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said.
* The NOAA forecast was a sober reminder that oil from the unchecked spill, broken up and carried by winds and ocean currents, could threaten a vast area of the U.S. Gulf Coast, including Florida, as well as Cuba and Mexico.
* President Barack Obama met on Tuesday with the co-chairs of a commission he set up to investigate the spill, former Senator Bob Graham and former Environmental Protection Agency chief William Reilly. Obama vowed to overhaul U.S. laws and regulations governing offshore drilling to prevent a repeat of the catastrophe.
* Attorney General Eric Holder said the Justice Department has launched a criminal and civil investigation into the spill and rig explosion that killed 11 workers. The FBI is taking part.
The hell with all those polite investigations. I want it to look more like this…
Original DVD cover
(left to right: Tony I’m-Wearing-Rand-Paul’s-Hair Hayward, William No-I’m-Not-Bob-Newhart Reilly, Bob Graham, Eric Holder, Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen)
Filed under Barack Obama, Democrats, FBI, Florida, humor, Justice Department, Mary Landrieu, movies, parody, politics, Republicans, snark, Wordpress Political Blogs
From TALKING POINTS MEMO:
Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) is blocking an EPA nomination because he wants the agency to delay establishing safety procedures for formaldehyde. Meanwhile, major emitters of the dangerous chemical have been generous contributors to the senator’s reelection campaign.
Vitter met yesterday with EPA administrator Lisa Jackson, who sought, unsuccessfully, to convince him to remove the hold he had placed on Paul Anastas, who has been nominated to be the EPA’s assistant administrator in charge of its Office of Research and Development, reports the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
No one has a problem with Anastas, who served in environmental posts in the Clinton and Bush 43 administrations. Rather, according to the Times-Picayune, Vitter wants the EPA to let the National Academy of Sciences review EPA’s assessment of the risks posed by the chemical formaldehyde.
Original DVD cover
Filed under David Vitter, Environment, FEC, Federal Election Commission, FEMA, humor, Katrina, Louisiana, movies, parody, politics, Republicans, snark, Wordpress Political Blogs
From mother nature network:
It’s hard to get more ridiculous than this- GOP Congressman Joe Barton (Texas, ExxonMobil) […] went on C-SPAN and said we shouldn’t be worried about CO2 because it’s “not hazardous to your health” and it’s “natural”. He said:
I’m creating it as I talk to you. It’s in your Coca-Cola, your Dr. Pepper and your Perrier water. It’s necessary for human life. It’s odorless, colorless, tasteless, doesn’t cause cancer, doesn’t cause asthma. There’s nobody that’s ever been admitted to a hospital because of CO2 poisoning.
Filed under Advertising, Democrats, Environment, Global warming, House Energy and Commerce Committee, humor, James Inhofe, parody, politics, Republicans, snark, Texas, Wordpress Political Blogs
From Think Progress:
Last week, the EPA “formally declared carbon dioxide and five other heat-trapping gases to be pollutants that endanger public health and welfare, setting in motion a process that will lead to the regulation of the gases for the first time in the United States.” Following the announcement, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) immediately issued a statement claiming that it was “nothing more than a back-door attempt to enact a national energy tax.”
On ABC’s This Week yesterday, host George Stephanopoulos pressed Boehner to explain what the Republican plan was to deal with climate change. First, Boehner said they believed in an “all of the above energy strategy.”
BOEHNER: George, the idea that carbon dioxide is a carcinogen that is harmful to our environment is almost comical. Every time we exhale, we exhale carbon dioxide. Every cow in the world, you know, when they do what they do, you’ve got more carbon dioxide.
Original DVD cover.
From Federal Computer Week:
President Barack Obama today named Earl Devaney, inspector general of the Interior Department, to oversee how the government spends the $787 billion economic stimulus package. Devaney will head the newly created Recovery Act Transparency and Accountability Board.
Original DVD cover.
Filed under Barack Obama, Corruption, humor, Interior Department, Jack Abramoff, Joe Biden, movies, parody, politics, Scandals, snark, Steven Griles, Wordpress Political Blogs